Thursday, May 29, 2008

Quilt 51 - Recalling Double 4-patch #2

2008
aka "The Shoebox Quilt"
In quilt entry 3 you can read the story about the quilt on the right in this picture (Quilt #1). In May 2006 the exhibit of some of the quilts from "Passing on the Comfort" by An Keuning-Tichelaar and Lynn Kaplanian-Buller, was held in Minneapolis, MN. Following the exhibit there was a book reading and I got to meet Lynn. I showed her quilt #1 and told her its story. She said that An really liked that quilt but it couldn't be in the exhibit because of its frail condition. I knew then that I wanted to make another quilt to send to An. I was fortunate that friends had more background fabric to share with me. Most of the background fabrics for these quilts are from designer Marsha McCloskey for Clothworks. It took a while to make quilt #2 but it was sent to Holland the end of May 2008. I'm just Passing on the Comfort.

Half of the quilts shown in the book "Passing on the Comfort" have returned to the Netherlands and will be on exhibit from June 21 through the summer at the little Mennonite church in Witmarsum, Friesland, the Netherlands. http://www.mennosimonscentrum.nl

I took a picture of the quilts together before mailing Quilt #2 to its new home half way around the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Ione, for your interest in sharing the story from Passing on the Comfort book and quilt exhibit.

It is interesting you posted this quilt because in my mail yesterday was a invitation in Dutch to this exhibit. The front has "Uitnodiging" de verbindende kracht van Quilts. I can't read Dutch but I'm keeping this invitation! Wouldn't it be an experience to organize a trip and visit the exhibit close to where Menno Simons started the anabaptist movement with MCC developed years later.

Thank you.
Marlys

Lucy said...

How sweet of you to make this quilt for An.

I have seen the exhibit in Witmarsum. Very impressive.