Sunday, January 3, 2010

Quilt 135 - Avo-Cat-O wool ornament

2009
4x6"

As a follow up to The Avocato wall hanging I made for my friend last Christmas (Quilt 119 on this blog), I ressurected this small wool version for her gift this year. This had been my first attempt at this pattern, which is Block One of Helene Knott's Garden Patch Cats called The Avocato. I had thought that making it smaller and doing a wool applique would be easier and faster, but I ended up not liking it at all and made the full size version in cotton instead.

This little wool version almost ended up the garbage can, but after all the time I spent on it, I went with my Mom's theory of "Save it! You never know..." And she was right! I pulled it out again after a year had passed and it wasn't quite the tragedy I had remembered. I put a little embroidery embellishment on it, whip stitched a back on it, took black wire from some other ill-fated craft project to make a little hanger for it and voila!

She loved it and only wished she could have a dozen more to cover her tree with! Maybe next year...

1 comment:

Andrea said...

That is so cute!!! Would you bring the pattern to the ocean?! We should draw up some other animals for baby ornaments...soft squishy things :o)